Revenue Department
Alternate Text

Revenue / Collector

The District Collector Is the Highest Officer of Revenue Administration in The District. In Revenue Matters, He/she Is Responsible to The Government Through the Divisional Commissioner and The Financial Commissioner (Revenue). As per the provisions, no one can sell, Transfer, Redevelop or change the user of a land, without the permission of the government authority (collector). To obtain such an NOC, the law also provide for a fee, which depends from case to case.

Land is a state subject. In a state, government-owned properties fall under the control of the revenue department, and the ownership of such properties vests with the city collector. For developing housing projects on such land parcels, developers, state as well as private builders, have to take the collector’s permission. It is only after obtaining his permission that a developer or property owners can start the process of attaining permissions from other municipal and development agencies to state the construction work.


Conversion From Agricultural To Non Agricultuiral Land

Agricultural Land Means Those Specific Land Areas On Which Agricultural Activities Are Conducted; Agricultural Land Is Generally Defined As The Portion Of The Land Area That Is Under Permanent Pastures, Crops Or Arable, Etc. Agricultural Land Is Explained Under Different State Statutes. Land Can Be Called Non-Agricultural Land, If Any Activity In The Nature Of Development Is Carried Over On The Land Which Makes Land Unfit For Cultivation. Under Section 44 Of The Maharashtra Land Revenue Code 1966, Before Carrying Out Any Development On The Land, An Eligible Person Has To Apply To The Collector For The Permission To Convert The Use Of Agricultural Land For Any Non-Agricultural Purpose, Or To Change The Use Of Land From One Agricultural Purpose To Another Non-Agricultural Purpose.



Subdividing A Land Means Dividing A Land Into Several Parts. When The Land Is Subdivided Into More Than One Lot, Each Plot Is Then Sold To One Or More Buyers. This Is More Profitable Than Keeping The Property As One Residential Unit. Smaller Residential Plots May Be Easier To Sell Than Larger Pieces Of Land. This Increases The Overall Value Of The Land.Division Or Subdivision Refers To Dividing Of A Lot, Tract, Or Parcel Of Land Into Two Or More Plots, Plats, Sites, Or Other Divisions Of Land Once Set Aside For A Particular Purpose Is Being Used In A Different Way (I.E. Industrial Land To Residential) For The Purpose, Whether Immediate Or In The Future, Of Sale Or Of Building Development.


Allotment of Land

Normally The Government Lands Gets Managed By Grant Of Lease Under The Government Grants Act For A Specific Purpose Such As For Agricultural, Residential, Commercial. Industrial or Charitable Purposes For A Specific Period, Which Might Span Up To 99 Years.With Or Without Premium, Subject To Special Instructions Issued By The State Government In Respect Of Some Areas For Special Reasons.Collector Passing Properties Are Also Known As B1 Properties Which Are Allotted On A Leasehold Basis Since These Are Leasehold Properties, Residents Of Such Housing Societies Are Legally Acknowledged As Class-Ii Occupants, And Their Rights Are Limited When Compared To Class-I Occupants Who Own Freehold Properties


N.O.C To Sale – Gift- Development –Redevelopment Etc. On Collectors Land

Collector’s Properties Are Generally Given Out On Leasehold Basis Which Spans For 99 Years. Since They Are Leasehold Properties, The Occupants Of Such Properties Are Known As Class Ii Occupants. The Rights Of Such Occupants Are Limited As Class I Occupants Who Own Freehold Properties. . If The Owner Wants To Rent, Lease, And Gift, Sell, Develop Or Redevelop The Property, They Need Permission From The Collector. If The Property Is To Be Sold, Develop Or Redevelop Then The Owner Needs To Get The Prior Permission From The Collector And Need To Pay Transfer / Development Fees To The Collector For The Same


Renewal Of Lease On Collectors Land

After The Lease Has Expired, The Buyer Will Have To Pay The Fixed Amount Of Money To Get The Lease Renewed. However, It Is Directly On The Collector To Either Accept Or Reject The Lease Application. Societies Have Been Asking For The Leasehold Properties To Be Converted To Freehold Properties So Proper Development Can Take Place.


Updation Of Revenue Record

Mutation Is The Change Of Title Ownership From One Person To Another When The Property Is Sold Or Transferred. By Mutating A Property, The New Owner Gets The Title Of The Property Recorded On His/Her Name In The Land Revenue Department And The Government Is Able To Charge Property Tax From The Rightful Owner. One Needs To Get Mutation Done And Get The New Owner Details Updated In The Revenue Records Maintained By Civic Bodies Like City Survey –Talathi- Tehsil- Collector Office And Municipal Corporations.( Property Card, 6/12 & 7/12)